THRIVE Free Educational Guided Hikes
Graciously sponsored by Kaiser Permanente. To sign up for our hikes, click on the event in our calendar.
Your Sustainable Forest
- Wednesday, 6/13 from 10 am - 12 pm at North Ten Mile Creek trail
- Tuesday, 7/17 from 10 am - 12 pm at North Ten Mile Creek trail
Summit County Wildflowers
- Tuesday, 6/19 from 9 am - 12 pm at Cataract Lake
- Wednesday, 7/11 from 9 am - 12 pm at the Lakes at Loveland Pass
- Friday, 7/20 from 9 am - 12 pm at the Eisenhower Tunnel
Geological History of Summit County Auto Tour
- Monday, 6/18 from 9 am - 12 pm at the Dillon Ranger District office
- Monday, 7/23 from 9 am - 12 pm at the Dillon Ranger District office
- Friday, 8/10 from 9 am - 12 pm at the Dillon Ranger District office
- MEMBERS ONLY! Friday, 8/17 from 9 am - 12 pm at the Dillon Ranger District office with BBQ afterwards!
Forestry in the Field
- Wednesday, 6/20 from 10 am - 12 pm at Lily Pad Lake
- Wednesday, 7/19 from 10 am - 12 pm at B & B trail
- Wednesday, 8/15 from 10 am - 12 pm at Dillon Nature Preserve
- Wednesday, 9/19 from 10 am - 12 pm at the Irrigation trail
Summit County Wildlife
- Monday, 6/25 from 9 - 11 am (location TBD)
- Thursday, 8/2 from 10 am - 12 pm (location TBD)
Bill Linfield Photography Hike
Summit County Mining History
- Friday, 7/13 from 9 am - 12 pm at Mountain Pride/Baker's Tank
- Tuesday, 8/7 from 9 am - 12 pm at French Gulch
- Thursday, 9/13 from 9 am - 12 pm at Gold Run/Preston
Edible Wild Plants and Mushrooms in Summit County
Summit County Waterside Walk
- Tuesday, 8/28 from 9 am - 11 am (location TBD)
Full Moon Hike and Observatory Night
- MEMBERS ONLY! Monday, 9/24 from 8 - 10:30 pm at Keystone Science School
2017 - 2018 SKI WITH A RANGER
Ski with a Ranger:
“Learn while you Turn”
FDRD is proud to partner with Vail Resorts, Copper Mountain Resort, and new this year Arapahoe Basin, to provide free, on-hill cultural and natural history tours starting December 22nd and running through the 31st of March. Our trained Ski Rangers will lead participants down a beginner/intermediate run, stopping periodically to discuss topics from local flora and fauna to geography and history. These one-hour tours require participants to have a valid lift ticket, intermediate skiing or riding ability and a desire to learn — no pre-registration required. Bring family and friends to learn while you turn on these free, unique mountain tours.
- Breckenridge Resort: Every Friday from 11:00am-Noon; meet at the top of the Independence Chair on Peak 7 - CLOSED FOR SEASON
- Keystone Resort: Every Friday from 11:00am-Noon; meet at the Keytop Overlook Deck - CLOSED FOR SEASON
- Copper Mountain Resort: Every Friday and Saturday from 11:00am-Noon; meet at the top of the Timberline Express Lift - CLOSED FOR SEASON
- Arapahoe Basin: Every Friday from 10:00am-11:00am; meet at the Mountain Goat Plaza
THRIVE Snowshoe Hiking Series
Graciously sponsored by Kaiser Permanente.
Ever heard of the word “Subnivean”?
Subnivean means life under the snow and there’s plenty of it going on here in Summit County! Come join a guest naturalist to explore the wonders of the natural world in the seemingly silent winter, while getting active outdoors and taking in spectacular views of our iconic mountain landscape. Our monthly snowshoe tours are led by local experts and are suitable for all ability levels. Tours are FREE and snowshoes are provided as needed. All you need is warm clothing, water, snacks, and of course your sense of wonder!
2018 Guided Snowshoe Tours have ended! See you next winter!!
To sign up for our winter snowshoe hikes, click on the event in our calendar. Specific hike locations will be announced approximately two days prior to the hike via email to registered participants. This gives the naturalist the flexibility to choose a hiking location based on weather and snow conditions. All hikes will be located within Summit County on 'beginner friendly' trails.